Ahhh, spring. It looks like it is just around the corner, and for those of us in the Northeast, that is welcome news! With spring comes the urge to clean out the garage, organize the shed, and start afresh. But what about our networks?
By Donna Moyer
Ahhh, spring. It looks like it is just around the corner, and for those of us in the Northeast, that is welcome news! With spring comes the urge to clean out the garage, organize the shed, and start afresh. But what about our networks? We all know that our servers are cluttered with old and unused files. In fact, the amount of information in organizations' storage infrastructures will grow to nearly 1.8 zettabytes (1.8 billion terabytes) by 2011 (IDC, August 2009). Of that information, unstructured data created by users is growing faster than any other data set in the enterprise.
The conclusion? You need more than a spring cleaning: you need to bust the clutter!
Administering file storage is a manual, mundane, repetitive set of tasks that is work-intensive and can be prone to errors. You can always buy more disk space … but if every file doesn't have the same value to your organization, why store them as if they do?
Enter Novell's File Reporter. File Reporter gives you an accurate assessment of your unstructured data – the vital first step in taking control of your network storage. Through File Reporter, you will:
- Find out what's on your network. Novell File Reporter reports what files you have, when they were last accessed, duplicate versions of files, and where these files are located.
- Review terabytes of data. Novell File Reporter is engineered to report on the millions of files stored throughout the server volumes that make up your network.
- Plan for storage growth. Novell File Reporter helps you determine your storage growth, analyze the factors contributing to the growth, and project when you might need more storage.
With this comprehensive picture of your storage, you will be able to manage your storage more efficiently and cost-effectively moving forward. Novell can help with that as well, through the Novell File Management Suite: the industry's only identity-driven, policy-based automated storage management tool. The Novell File Management Suite will allow you to:
- Get more from your file management system. Novell lets you automate everyday tasks by defining policies based on your business rules.
- Reduce! Reuse! Recycle! Novell automatically moves "stale" files from costly primary storage to cheaper secondary storage based on customizable policies.
- Save time, money, and resources. Novell automates tedious and time-consuming tasks so IT can focus on more strategic projects.
- Streamline storage based on relevance. Novell lets you manage user and group files based on their relevance and business value, not their size.
- Know your data and how to manage it. Novell's fast and flexible reporting provides unmatched visibility into the millions of files on your network.
File Management Suite includes File Reporter, Storage Manager (formerly known to many of you as File System Factory), and Dynamic File Services. Storage Manager takes care of your NSS storage volumes while Dynamic File Services works great for your Windows/Active Directory environment.
Still not convinced or just want to kick the tires? Novell has provided us with a way for you to get a free review of your current file system. Uptime will come to your site and run Novell File Reporter absolutely free, giving you all the benefits of this powerful evaluation at no cost. To schedule an appointment, call us at 610-621-1244. We look forward to partnering with you to help you bust your clutter!
© Copyright 2011, Uptime NetManagement, Inc.